Getting Started ...
What is the 3% cap?
- School districts that have more than 3% of students enrolled in a virtual public charter school sponsored by other districts have the option to deny new enrollments. When applying please keep in mind that many Oregon school districts have reached their 3% cap and may be denying students the ability to join our program. For your information, please check out this ODE list of districts.
- OAR 581-020-0342: A parent must provide notice to the school district in which the parent resides that the parent intends to enroll a student in a virtual public charter school. If more than 3% of the students who reside in the school district are enrolled in a virtual public charter school not sponsored by the district, the district must provide notice that the district a) Approves the student for enrollment OR b) Does not approve the student for enrollment in the virtual public charter school and provide a copy of this rule AND OAR 581-020-0343 to the student and a list of two or more other online options available to the student. (2) If a parent does not receive notice of approval OR the disapproval from the school district under the rule within 14 days of the parent sending the notice of intent to enroll to the district, the student shall be deemed approved for enrollment by the district. (3) A parent may appeal a decision of a school district to not approve a student for enrollment to the State Board of Education pursuant to OAR 581-020-0343.
How does the lottery process work?
- The Lottery will be held on April 15th.
- We process returning student forms to establish openings, and then we enroll siblings on the waiting list
- A lottery is performed for the remaining spots. Each student on the waiting list will be drawn at random to establish an ordered waiting list. We will then fill in remaining spots using this order. If a student with siblings is drawn, they will all receive a spot.
What age should my child enter school?
- If you are not sure what age your child should be enrolled in our program please use the following guideline.The state law uses September 1 as the cut off each year. Students should be age 5 by September 1st to join our school program as a kindergarten student